Bushwalking Logo XC Skiing Logo

Bushwalking, XC Skiing

Fri 15 6:00pm - Sun 17 Jun 2018 9:30pm

Posted by Steven B on Thu, 24 May 2018
Leaders: Steven B, Rodney P, Luke F
Standard: Intermediate
Meeting: Tue, 12 Jun 2018, 7:30 pm

Due to ROC changing their plans, and the forecast of snow, the original hike from Falls Creek to Hotham has been cancelled.

The New Plan:

This trip has evolved into a snow shoe hike (with a couple experienced skiing) to Mt Bogong. 

We will be meeting at the MUMC Clubrooms at 6pm Friday night, to collect final gear (snow shoes) and start driving on and either sleep at mountain creek campground or continue on to camp at Camp Creek Gap. 

On Saturday morning, we will wake up early and continue on to Michell Hut, then on toward the summit. 

On Sunday we will hike back down to the cars and head back to Melbourne. 

You might arrive in Melbourne late depending on how fast we are on the descent and if/how long we stop for dinner. 

Major Risk - Hypothermia  

If you are cold or uncomfortable with anything, please let me or any other leader know as soon as possible. Please don't wait until things get worse. It is easier to mitigate risks earlier on.  Make sure clothing is wool or synthetic, NOT Denim or Cotton. If these get wet, they dry slowly so you will get cold and increase your risk of developing hypothermia.

This is an intermediate level trip with snow shoeing and skiing only for the more experienced.

Back to list of trips