Mon 5 Aug - Sun 22 Sep 2019
Posted by Luke F
on Fri, 18 Jan 2019
Leaders: Luke F
Meeting: No meeting
I'm planning a ski mountaineering trip in New Zealand in August/September. Hoping to spend a decent amount of time up in the alpine huts of Cook National Park. Probably will also spend some time skiing at the club fields near Athurs Pass. If you're interested in joining me for some of this let me know!
To join for just some club field skiing you need:
- To want to have fun!
- A decent level of ski ability will make skiing at the club fields more enjoyable as most of it is "off-piste" snow, and using a nutcracker rope tow is challenging enough without being a beginner skier/snowboarder!
To join for any backcountry skiing you need to be:
- A confident off-piste backcountry skier, preferably with your own touring ski setup. You can ski black runs easily.
- Have done at least an AST1 equivalent avalanche course.
To join for the Cook NP parts:
- Have some mountaineering experience/have done a mountaineering course to join on the days where we do some technical climbing.
- Or be willing to practice crevasse rescue and ideally also climbing skills (through the MUMC framework) with me in the lead up to the trip to at least join on the less technical climbing and skiing on glacier terrain.
This is an independent trip and as such, the expectation will be that you would come with the skills to take care of yourself.
Leave a comment down below, or come and contact me when I'm at MUMC/The pub sometime, or you can email me at to let me know you're keen.
Back to list of trips