This trip has been cancelled
Sun 17 Mar 2019 7:00am - 6:00pm
Posted by Lingshu L
on Fri, 22 Feb 2019
Leaders: Lingshu L
Meeting: Tue, 12 Mar 2019, 7:00 pm
Copied trip description from Anton, but now that I've referenced him, does it still count as plagiarism...?
An introduction to whitewater kayaking on our home run from Homestead Rd to Wittons Reserve. This is suitable for people without any paddling experience, but who are confident swimmers (50m comfortably). The water level is usually low, so the rapids will be shallow and bumpy, expecting to be grade I-II paddling.
You will need to go to the Tuesday meeting beforehand with 30$ cash (to pay for transport and gear hire).
A rough guide for the day:
7.00am - Meet at the clubrooms to sort gear and load cars
10.30am - Get on the river at Homestead Rd (You will get wet!)
2.30pm - Get off river, repack cars
4pm - Back at clubrooms to wash and hang gear
What you need to bring:
- Secure footwear to wear in the boat (must stay on your feet if you are swimming, ie no jandals)
- Water bottle to carry (river water is not safe to drink)
- Sunscreen, hat, whatever you need for the sun
- Clothes to get wet in, preferably synthetic or merino, **no** cotton. You can also hire a wetsuit and/or cag (waterproof raincoat) from MUMC (free).
- Lunch. (no tupperware)
- Towel and clothes to change into at the take-out point
Other details to be sorted out at the trip meeting, please come and talk to me if you are unsure at all about your confidence swimming. Final trip numbers will be determined on Tuesday, once we know how many cars and leaders we have available.
Back to list of trips