Sat 6 - Sun 7 Apr 2019
Posted by Lingshu L
on Wed, 6 Mar 2019
Leaders: Lingshu L
Meeting: Tue, 2 Apr 2019, 7:00 pm
Dependeng on water levels, this will either be a river safety and kayaking session on the Goulburn River over the weekend, or a day trip - introduction to whitewater kayaking on the Yarra for our home run from Homestead Rd to Wittons Reserve. This is suitable for people without any paddling experience, but who are confident swimmers (50m comfortably). If this is on the Yarra, the water level is usually low, so the rapids will be shallow and bumpy, expecting to be grade I-II paddling.
You will need to go to the Tuesday meeting beforehand with 30$/60$ cash (to pay for transport and gear hire to Yarra/Goulburn).
What you need to bring:
- Secure footwear to wear in the boat (must stay on your feet if you are swimming, ie no jandals)
- Water bottle to carry (river water is not safe to drink)
- Sunscreen, hat, whatever you need for the sun
- Clothes to get wet in, preferably synthetic or merino, **no** cotton. You can also hire a wetsuit and/or cag (waterproof raincoat) from MUMC.
- Towel and clothes to change into at the take-out point
Other details to be sorted out at the trip meeting, please come and talk to me if you are unsure at all about your confidence swimming. Final trip numbers will be determined on Tuesday, once we know how many cars and leaders we have available.
Back to list of trips