Sat 14 Dec 2019 9:00am
Posted by Lingshu L
on Tue, 10 Dec 2019
Leaders: Lingshu L, Alex H
Standard: Everyone welcome
Meeting: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 7:00 pm
An introduction to whitewater kayaking on our home run from Homestead Rd to Wittons Reserve. This is suitable for people without any paddling experience, but who are confident swimmers (50m comfortably). The water level is usually low, so the rapids will be shallow and bumpy, expecting to be grade I-II paddling.
You will need to go to the Tuesday meeting beforehand with 30$ cash (to pay for transport and gear hire).
A rough guide for the day:
0900 - Meet at the clubrooms to sort gear and load cars
1230 - Get on the river at Homestead Rd (You will get wet!) - Lunch
1530 - Get off river, repack cars or alternatively: continue down the river and
1800 - Arrive at the christmas party in style*
What you need to bring:
- A sunny disposition
- Secure footwear to wear in the boat (must stay on your feet if you are swimming, ie no thongs)
- Water bottle to carry (river water is not safe to drink)
- Sunscreen, hat, whatever you need for the sun
- Clothes to get wet in, preferably synthetic or merino, **no** cotton. You can also hire a wetsuit and/or cag (waterproof raincoat) from MUMC (free).
- Joie de vivre
- Towel and clothes to change into at the take-out point
Other details to be sorted out at the trip meeting, please come and talk to me if you are unsure at all about your confidence swimming. The trip meeting is this Thursday. If you can't make it, please email Alex at - check your inboxes for an email as well!
Please meet at the clubrooms at 0900, Saturday, for a departure around 0930.
The current forecast for Saturday is a bit of rain, cloudy and 10-19 degrees . At the moment, the river level is 0.6m (good). We will be kayaking on the Yarra River from Lower Homestead Rd to Wittons Reserve (5km). This section includes several Grade 2 rapids. We will be returning to to clubrooms after the christmas party.
* wet stinky kayaking gear
Back to list of trips