Intro Trip 2020
This trip has been cancelled
Special Events, Rock Climbing, Canoe Polo, Rafting, Bushwalking
Fri 20 5:00pm - Sun 22 Mar 2020 5:00pm
Posted by Ruby A
on Thu, 23 Jan 2020
Leaders: Alex B, Ruby A, Oliver V, Alex H, Hugh M, Natalie U, Steven B, Meghan M, Matilda L, Callum E, Aaditya C
Standard: Everyone welcome
Meeting: Tue, 17 Mar 2020, 7:00 pm
This was a hard decision for the MUMC Committee to make but we wanted to act sooner rather than later. Regrettably, Intro Trip is cancelled due to the COVID-19 outbreak in Australia.
For the sake of transparency this is for 3 different reasons:
1) We are concerned about how the situation will evolve next week and we don't want to be caught out by the university cancelling Intro Trip at the last minute.
2) Several leaders had to pull out of intro trip due to new work obligations arising from the COVID-19 outbreak. This means we will not be able to deliver on the promised sports.
3) Purchasing food/supplies for 80 people next week will be difficult as bulk buying is restricted and many essentials we need are experiencing national shortages (like hand sanitiser).
Everyone will be refunded their full $150 payment. For people who paid by card via the website, this will happen automatically. For those who have paid cash we are still working out when and where that will happen and what alternatives we can offer, you will receive an email early this week about refunds if you paid cash.
For up to date information & advice on COVID-19 in Australia, we recommend visiting health.gov.au.
Stay Safe, Stay Healthy and we hope that everyone can still have a fun weekend.
What is Intro Trip?
Intro Trip is the largest trip of the year, and is designed for you, the newbie, to get an idea of what MUMC does, make some friends and have fun! Intro trip is open to all students wanting to venture into the outdoors - undergraduates and postgraduates alike.
Places are limited; this trip will accept approximately 60 'first timers'.
What is going to happen?
On Friday night, we will all carpool up to the Cathedral Ranges ('Nanadhong' on Taungurung Country), set up camp and wait for the latecomers to arrive.
You'll wake up early Saturday morning to a hot breakfast, prepared for you by the trip leaders and yourselves. After breakfast, we'll split off into our groups based on your preference of activities.
You'll have the choice of 3 activities from the following: rock climbing, rafting, bushwalking and canoe polo.
After lunch, we'll swap activities, and when they're finished for the day, we'll all return to camp, have a delicious barbecue, and spend the night chatting around the fire!
Sunday morning gives you the chance to try one last activity, before we pack up camp and head home.
Costs and logistics
Intro trip will cost around $150, and covers two breakfasts and Saturday dinner, gear rental, the campsite fee, petrol and car maintenance for the drivers, and all other bits and bobs that you need to have a nice camp. This price is comparable to, and even cheaper, than prices of commercial adventure companies around Melbourne, which offer similar experiences, but only of one activity and only for a day.
What else will you need?
If you don't have a tent or a sleeping bag, you'll be able to rent one from the club, or share a tent with someone who does have one! It's really cheap, so don't let that stop you from signing up! When you've signed up, you will get a list of what you need to bring.
What do you do to come on the trip?
1. Sign up: come to a club meeting, join as a member and secure your spot by paying $150.
2. Attend the trip meeting on the 17th of March: this is compulsory, we'll sort out carpooling and gear hire.
3. Ensure that you have an Australian phone number and a local emergency contact number listed.
4. Respond to any emails sent out: we'll be sending out a medical form, this must be filled out before the trip meeting on the 17th of March!
If you have any questions, such as what each activity actually involves, please ask using the comments section below or come speak to Ruby, Oliver, Darcey or Alex H as well as any of the other committee members.
Back to list of trips