Fri 8 - Sun 10 Dec 2023
Posted by Josh H
on Mon, 27 Nov 2023
Leaders: Josh H
Meeting: Tue, 5 Dec 2023, 7:00 pm
Set off on an exhilarating weekend adventure along the Great Southern Rail Trail, where you'll experience the splendours of South Gippsland. This trek is not just a journey through scenic landscapes but also a culinary adventure, featuring dining at authentic Australian pubs and cafes. Enjoy the charm of Leongatha, the artistic allure of Fish Creek, and the historic bridges along the way. As you traverse this picturesque trail, you'll also have the opportunity to mingle with great people, making memories and forming connections. This beginners hike offers a perfect blend of natural beauty, local culture, and friendly camaraderie, with no cooking required! Join us and immerse yourself in the heart of Australia's stunning countryside.
Friday, 8th December - Southern Cross Station to Leongatha, V/line
Kick off your weekend with an easy V/line bus journey from Southern Cross Station to Leongatha, embarking on a relaxing start to an unforgettable adventure. Arrive at the charming Leongatha Caravan Park, your base for the night. Settle into the serene atmosphere, surrounded by the comforts of a well-equipped caravan park, before we head out for dinner at one of the local eateries.
Saturday, 9th December - Leongatha to Meeniyan, 16 km
Awaken to the fresh country air and commence your hike from Horticultural Park, Leongatha. This 7.8 km stretch to Koonwarra is a tranquil descent through dairy farms, lowland forests, and wetlands, offering picturesque views of the Strzelecki Ranges. Absorb the native flora and the welcoming tree-lined approach to Koonwarra. After lunch at Koonawarra, continue another 8.2 km to Meeniyan. Experience historical railway bridges along Black Spur and lush fern gullies, ending your day in the vibrant community of Meeniyan. Enjoy a hearty meal at the Meeniyan Hotel, reflecting on the day's journey.
Sunday, 10th December - Meeniyan to Fish Creek, 18.3 km
The final leg of your adventure is the most diverse, covering 18.3 km to Fish Creek. Meander through landscapes dotted with pastures, giant gumtrees, and creeks, teeming with wildlife. The path takes you past Stony Creek and Buffalo (the town, not the animal), culminating in a rural vista as you approach historic Fish Creek. Conclude your exploration with the satisfaction of having traversed a variety of terrains, each offering its own unique beauty and charm.
This hike, suitable for beginners and chill seasoned hikers alike, promises an enriching experience, connecting you with the natural splendour and historical richness of South Gippsland. Immerse yourself in this weekend getaway, where every step brings a new discovery and a deeper appreciation of Australia's stunning landscapes.
*This trip is being held in honour of Lindsay Kosack, who planned and ran it in May this year. Lindsay is still very much alive and well.
Suggested packing list:
Food and Dining:
- 2 Lunches: Light, non-cook lunch items. We can't guarantee we'll be at a town by lunch time, so it is worth carrying lunch just in case.
- Snacks: bars, fruit, nuts, jerky.
- Reusable Cutlery and Plate: For lunches and maybe breakfast.
- Optional Breakfast Supplies: If you are not planning to visit cafes for breakfast.
Clothing and Weather Gear:
- Rain Gear: Waterproof jacket and pants; you can borrow these from the MUMC.
- Comfortable Hiking Shoes: It is all nice trail, so you don't need anything fancy, but make sure you have worn it before
- Sun Protection: Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses.
- Tent: You can borrow this from the MUMC, perhaps sharing with someone to lighten your load?
- Sleeping Bag: You can borrow this from the MUMC.
- Torch or Headlamp: For visibility at night.
- Pack: You can borrow this from the MUMC.
Hydration and Health:
- Water bottle: There is clean running water along the trail to refill.
- Personal Medications: Any necessary prescriptions.
- Tape/band-aids: it's a long walk, so be prepared to preemptively deal with blisters before they go yucky.
The trip should be about $60 including the V/Line coach fair and the Leongatha Caravan park. I will work out how to apply for the human-powered trip fund which will get us back some of our train fair.
Back to list of trips