Sat 28 7:30am - Sun 29 Apr 2012 8:52pm
Posted by Paddling O
on Sun, 22 Apr 2012
Leaders: Benjamin W, Rose B, James C
Meeting: Tue, 24 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm
Requirements: Read the Participant Document (url above) Bring Necessary Equipment
Please signup to this trip only if you are coming on the Paddling Progression. This means you were at the meeting last Tuesday, have attended a pool session , or have made alternate arrangements with me. If you cannot yet sign up because membership has not been processed you MUST email me at so i have your contact details.
There will not be a trip meeting on Tuesday as all leaders are completing a River Rescue course. We may be around to answer some questions otherwise all correspondence will be done via email. The only day we can check email will be Wednesday - After this you will not see or hear from us until 7:30 AM on Saturday morning.
ALL Particpants MUST read this document: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36882041/Paddle%20Progression%20Participant%20Guidelines.docx
I recommend printing it off and keeping notes of what rivers you complete and what levels they were. This information will be extremely valuable later on.
Where/ Where Are We Meeting?: Outside the Boatshed, at 7:30am on Saturday Morning. The boat shed is next to the sport centre, on the road that you would follow to get to the MUMC clubroom. Drivers Enter via Tin Alley on Swanston St.
Costs: $15 Gear Hire for the Weekend (Extra for wetsuit) and $15-$20 for car costs
Camping Saturday Night: On a farm close to the end of Bourchiers Rd. Melways Page 24 C4
Bring a lot of snacks/museli bars for on the river.
Brekky Sat:Eat something before you come on Saturday morning or bring something to eat in the car.
Lunch Saturday: Bring a packed lunch or we may make a bakery stop in Warrandyte in the morning.
Diner Sat: Plan a meal with your car group or a friend. We will have a fire to cook on, or else you should bring a stove. You will need to bring all pots, pans and utensils you need to cook your meal.
Bring Breakfast for Sunday – either cook on fire or stove, or something to eat cold (easiest option)
Sunday Lunch: Bring a packed lunch, rolls, wraps or other lunch. We will be eating beside the river, no shops anywhere nearby.
Depending what time we finish on Sunday we will either grab dinner on the way home, or just head straight back to uni, unload the gear and head home.
What you need to Bring To go Kayaking:
- Thermals or fleece to wear on river under a wetsuit: Wearing any cotton on the river is a really bad idea, and if the weather turns bad you will get cold (synthetics, wetsuits and fleeces are all good things to bring, they will keep you warn even when they are wet)
- Wetsuit (the club has some you may be able to borrow, alternately visit an opp shop and buy on that fits)
- Warm clothes to change into after we get out
- Any food you want to eat while on the river – museli bars/chocolate and snacks to put in your pockets when heading down the river are a good idea. You may get tired or cold so you should definitely have something stashed away in case of this
- Wetsuit Booties, or Old Shoes to wear in the river – If you come out of you boat we do not want you to cut your feet on rocks/glass/ whatever is under the surface. Sunscreen
- Water Bottle
Equipment Needed For Camping:
- Tent (or space in someone else’s tent)
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat
- If you want to cook breakfast bring a pot to cook in over the fire, or bring a stove too
- Anything else you need to eat a meal (Cup, bowl, plate, spoon, knife, fork)
- Head torch
- Toilet Paper
- Garbage Bag (for rubbish or your wet clothes)
- First Aid kit (if you have one this is useful to bring)
- Any Personal Medication you may need. (if you have any health problems that a leader should know about, please tell one of the leaders before you get on the river)
Back to list of trips